The AEC-Q101 Trench 9, 40 V automotive superjunction MOSFETs in the rugged, electrically- and thermally-efficient LFPAK56E deliver a footprint reduction of up to 81% when compared to traditional solutions such as bare die modules, D2PAK or D2PAK-7 devices.
The 0.9 mΩ, 220 A DC-rated BUK9J0R9-40H MOSFET suits applications up to 1.2 kW, and is also lower cost than larger D2PAK devices which were the previous best solution.
As well as reducing RDS(on) the new devices also feature an improved DC current rating of 220 A – a first for the automotive Power-SO8 footprint. This enables higher power density on a small footprint, which is especially valuable for safety-critical automotive applications that require dual redundant circuitry.
The use of Superjunction technology delivers a higher Avalanche capability and Safe Operating Area for improved performance under fault conditions.
“Nexperia is the only company with a low voltage Superjunction MOSFET platform,”says Nexperia’s Norman Stapelberg.
LFPAK56 Trench 9 MOSFETs facilitate paralleling for high current applications. Devices suit automotive functions such as motor control (brushed and brushless) for power steering, transmission control, ABS, ESC, pumps (water, oil and fuel), fan speed control, reverse battery protection and DC/DC converters.
According to Nexperia website: the BUK9JOR9-40H
- Fully automotive qualified to AEC-Q101:
- 175 °C rating suitable for thermally demanding environments
- Trench 9 Superjunction technology:
- Reduced cell pitch enables enhanced power density and efficiency with lower RDSon in same footprint
- Improved SOA and avalanche capability compared to standard TrenchMOS
- Tight VGS(th) limits enable easy paralleling of MOSFETs
- LFPAK Gull Wing leads:
- High Board Level Reliability absorbing mechanical stress during thermal cycling, unlike traditional QFN packages
- Visual (AOI) soldering inspection, no need for expensive x-ray equipment
- Easy solder wetting for good mechanical solder joint
- LFPAK copper clip technology:
- Improved reliability, with reduced Rth and RDSon
- Increases maximum current capability and improved current spreading
- 12 V automotive systems
- Motors, lamps and solenoid control
- Start-Stop micro-hybrid applications
- Transmission control
- Ultra high performance power switching